Слепая печать:
  Championship-Ru
  Championship-En
urikor.net Forum Index urikor.net
Все о слепой машинописи и клавиатурных тренажерах

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    urikor.net Forum Index -> Online Touch-Typing Championship
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sensiblu
senior sergeant
senior sergeant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. I did spent less time in the game but I didn't know how to improve my two finger typing technique .. almost all the players develop a tehnique similar to arthur's tehnique.. they play a lot and they extend their two finger typing to more fingers but without a consistent tehnique.. The same key will be pressed with different fingers depending upon the word.. Of course for a word they type it the same every time.. but for a letter.. that's another story. I didn't have to retrain my typing because I didn't develop those skills fairly because I did not play that much in my early trivia.. and when I did want to type faster.. well.. I did what I always do before I start learning a new thing.. I googled for it Smile) I love google Smile)
Laston
senior sergeant
senior sergeant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Linux and other browsers Reply with quote

Hi,
Is there possible to make the script work for other browsers like
Firefox, or for linux?
Gem
captain
captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Linux and other browsers Reply with quote

Laston wrote:
Hi,
Is there possible to make the script work for other browsers like
Firefox, or for linux?
Under Windows you can use IE Tab plugin for FireFox.
Under linux... no, it is not possible yet, I suppose.
Laston
senior sergeant
senior sergeant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: linux Reply with quote

I know about the IE Tab in firefox and I use it, there is something that simulates IE 5.5 in linux, but the problem is that there is too much lag, about 2 seconds, and that seriously affects the typing speed Sad,
Laston
senior sergeant
senior sergeant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: mobile typing Reply with quote

i would like to know if there is a possibility in the near future to make one section for mobile typing, let's say something like "Mobile championship" Very Happy ?
Urikor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in what an essence of such championship?
Laston
senior sergeant
senior sergeant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: mobile typing Reply with quote

I think you are right, maybe in 3-4 years would be much intresting, now there aren't many individuals thinking about mobile typing, anyway, the idea stroke me when I and Sensiblu tried to access the site from Sensiblu's mobile phone Very Happy , it would be a waste of materials and work for now, in the far future it would be a better idea, by the way, my city is at the border with Ukraine, in what part of Ukrane is your city Jury?, is it near the border with Romania Smile .
Urikor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
I shall be glad to realize interesting ideas in common.
I live on Donbass (Lugansk).
Unfortunately, it in the East of Ukraine.
On border with the Rostov area.
We are divided with 1500 kilometers.
Gem
captain
captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a problem with "Completed championships". The championship tables show only 6 tours per month, but there were 10 tours per month recently.
Urikor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This month reorganization of the championship has been made
http://urikor.net/cup/EN/rules.html
Автандилина
AvtandiLine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaCkZJuaNN wrote:
I was looking at Julys championship and i am very surprised that the ten people that won have more total result than the total sum of the 6 rounds. I suppose I have forgot something but I don't know what, so please tell me Razz

(from here: http://urikor.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1067&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15)

Earlier, the Championship had 10 tours, now it has only 6. The reorganization, as a whole, was good, I think. But, some unexpected things happened: the new table structure is used for all the championships - the “old” ones including! Now, the participants have to look in the past through the present, so to speak... What a surprise - to see the results once there were, but now there aren’t Sad
(I thought previous table structure shall be kept for all corresponding dates.)
Urikor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, it was complex for making
Crying or Very sad
Автандилина
AvtandiLine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, why not put all those results as plain text, to be seen, anyhow Smile
on a new page named ~ "the archiv list of earlier championships"?

Last edited by Автандилина on Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Urikor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To tell the truth, has not thought of it.
Автандилина
AvtandiLine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the privilege of your being inside the situation! Laughing
Brudi
Prizivnik - draftee
Prizivnik - draftee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One month ago I sent an e-mail to Juri with my idea about an endurance championship.

The idea is very simple. 1 endurance championship per month with a huge text. 4000-5000 characters for example(optionally a master championship per year with 10000 characters Very Happy )

I think it would be a great test .. not only speed will matter...but the dosage of the effort...etc..you know.

What do you think ? ....

Brudi
Urikor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know as tell.
In the championships take part a few people.
On greater texts, I think, participants will be even less.
But idea quite good.
There can be it will is realized in the future when the number of participants will increase.
Sensiblu
senior sergeant
senior sergeant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a suggestion about the site in general... The site is great except that it doesn't warn about the (health) down sides of the touch typing.
I've touch typed for 1 year and a half now.. I've practiced a lot plus my work involves typing lots of hours/day. A month ago or so one of my fingers started twitching (the thumb to be more precise, I press the space-bar with the thumb). Twitching = The thumb behaves like when I'm typing, It keeps bending like pressing a key, then unbends and so on.. forever... and I don't have the possibility to control the move Sad This is all part of the computer work related diseases. This one is called RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury) and it happens after a time because touch typing is not something healthy if not done properly. One of the most important things I've learned after five years of intense computer usage is that ergonomy is one of the most important things in computer work. It took me five years to realise that because I didn't have any sympthoms until recent(rsi, back aches, eyes strain, spasms, etc). What's sad is that I knew that sooner or later this is going to happen because I've read a lot about this before I've had the sympthoms. Well, I didn't do anything about it, no program,.. just work contiguously lots of hours a day in an unergonomic environment and in an unergonomic way. Well I can't play urikor anymore without the fear of RSI kicking in to another finger or carpal tunnel syndrome... my wrists aren't feeling too good after 8h of computer work. My advice to you isn't that you don't play anymore Smile
Typing is fun but take care not to type too much, or to want to increase your typing speed to much.. I really did want to have a really fast typing speed... I've got to over 500 cpm on urikor as average but at this speed... my health had to suffer. So it really isn't healthy to type too fast because as the speed increases you just can't type without having a higher impact on the fingers when you press a key, and one of the rules of ergonomy says DON'T BANG THE KEYS! Smile Buy an ergonomic keyboard! Although it's not proven that they really do something I've felt the difference after I bought one. Although it's more expensive than a regluar one buy an expensive ergnomic keyboard because your body will feel the difference. Have fun, Play safe! Smile
Urikor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tunnel syndrome - a serious problem.
As they say, good it is necessary moderately
Автандилина
AvtandiLine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensiblu wrote:
So it really isn't healthy to type too fast because as the speed increases you just can't type without having a higher impact on the fingers when you press a key, and one of the rules of ergonomy says DON'T BANG THE KEYS! Smile
Play safe! Smile

Sensiblu, you have overstrained yourself, what a pity!
Hope your health will improve, step by step, don't hurry.

People have to check themselves just NOT to have a higher impact on the fingers when pressing keys. To keep calm and carefully. The more speed, the less pressing - that would be better. I do agree it's not easy to keep, one feels as being a hunter. But it's worth to keep the idea in mind forever:
1/ don't bang, don't bang!
2/ the increase of one's typing speed requires prolonged time. Not at once, not in a month!
Laston
senior sergeant
senior sergeant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: injury Reply with quote

I agree with Sensiblu, I know how much he is typing and working on computer, after all he is a student on programming.
Another thing, Jury, I hope that all the text this month is not "Christmas" based, I dislike this kind of religious subjects, ther are more pagan based than christian( you saw the origins) Sad .
Thanks
Son
Rjadovoj - the ranks
Rjadovoj - the ranks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Miscellaneous Reply with quote

Hello everyone.
Laston, what's wrong with the texts? (actually, I didn't fully understand your point of view - are you a Christian or rather an atheist?)
Sensiblu, I don't know exactly what kind of disease you have, I have never faced serious problems with my fingers - and, as I am one of the fastest people around, maybe you would like to hear my opinion. So here it is:
Developping "muscles" and "strength" on your shoulders, arms, fore-arms, hands, fingers, fingertips etc.... is not the point; on the contrary, the more relaxed, the better. Try to forget about your fingers, try to imagine that, when you are looking into the monitor, and reading a specific text, your eyes are the ones who automatically write it down. In order to forget about your hands, first you need to relax them, and check on them periodically, until you get used to it (lowered, but not hunchy shoulders, mobile/non-stiff wrists, fluent breathe). Are you "peeping" at the keyboard while typing? You shouldn't, at least not for the common used keys (it's ok for the digits, though, I think...). To accomplish that, maybe the best way is to learn touch-typing (I know you're already using it; it has a few shortcomings too, but they're not so terrible). I warmly recommend you to pass through all the training proposed by Yuri on this site (I'm not sure how many tests there are, I think 200 or 300) - they will also help you.
Another catch is to practice slowly. Yes, not all the training should be done at full speed, on the contrary, only 20% is done at full speed, another 50-60% is at a reasonable speed(= pretty high but when you're still able to control the number of mistakes that you make), and the last 20-30% consist of temperate typing - with little arrhythmia, good "sense" of the keyboard and WITH FOCUS on the text to be typed. Many people tend to believe that when it comes to this part, they can relax their mind, and think of something else, but it's wrong !! In order for this part of the training to succeed, one must focus while slow-typing.
There are also 2 other aspects involved: 1). avoid mental exhaustion !! Sleep as much as you need (or almost); also, your eyes must be in perfect shape (if not, you should wear glasses, change your monitor etc) 2). good nutrition, with all the vitamins and minerals; make sure there's enough oxygen in the room.
I'm telling you this because sitting 8-10 hours a day before a computer can be devastating for our health - on the long run, of course.
Brudi, your idea with an endurance text is good - you can count me in!
Автандилина
AvtandiLine

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Miscellaneous Reply with quote

Hello, Son.

"the more relaxed, the better"
That's the word I needed in my comment but missing.
(Oh those language problems! ))

Respect on your brilliant typing results and your reasonable way of explaining and giving recommendations.
Laston
senior sergeant
senior sergeant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: long run Reply with quote

I will type the super long text if I will buy a new machine(computer), because the computer I have sucks, it's a can.
Laston
senior sergeant
senior sergeant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: typing Reply with quote

I've broken my old speed record, now I have 616 cpm, you're right Avatandi, I don't have to rise quickly in speed, actually is more important to have a constant typing speed, no matter of how long is it Smile .
Автандилина
AvtandiLine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laston, congratulations with your 616!
I've noticed them )))))) I had to make some efforts to improve my results, as soon as possible... and as much as possible, too Wink Laughing

"actually is more important to have a constant typing speed, no matter of how long is it"
good wording, I like it.
Urikor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done! Very Happy
Son
Rjadovoj - the ranks
Rjadovoj - the ranks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will all catch up with me, eventually Smile
I really hope so...
It took me several years to gain my speed (if I come to think about it...hmm... I began my "career" when I was 18 and a half, and now I am 23 years old, but in my "early" days, I was typing with only 5-6 fingers; I adopted the "correct" style - touch-typing- about 1 year ago. Those who begin directly with touch-typing have better chances than me).
Laston, congrats for your improvement, and keep pushing it ! Smile
Автандилина
AvtandiLine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son wrote:
You will all catch up with me, eventually Smile

Oh yes, very-very eventually!... Laughing

Son wrote:
in my "early" days, I was typing with only 5-6 fingers; I adopted the "correct" style - touch-typing- about 1 year ago. Those who begin directly with touch-typing have better chances than me).

Typing technique might be necessary part, not the whole Smile In the Russian language, I've been touch-typing for nearly 40 years, my typing experience increases steadily - my typing speed somehow doesn't Wink not like Son's or Gem's )))

In Latin, I got to ~200-250 cpm when I was at your actual age Son. Now I am 57, and I kept my Latin speed at that level all the years. (In the Russian language I really need high speed, and had it in fact. In Latin no actual need, this is why only 200-250).
But, watching the charming Urikor Daily Task, early in 2006 I felt like to improve my Latin. (Just so, no actual need, again Smile

...and this autumn I hit over 700. Very glad with it! 726 in English (and 767 in Russian).
Should be fully satisfied with it. There's so much other interesting things to do. If but I could stop myself from striving at maximum speeds Laughing
Автандилина
AvtandiLine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son, would you tell us why you decided for touch-typing style instead of 5-6 fingers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    urikor.net Forum Index -> Online Touch-Typing Championship All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: